Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Rain's Reviews: Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky


Perk Of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Charlie is a freshman.

And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.

Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.~ Goodreads
~~~

Reviews


Can I just say? I want to be a wallflower? I man despite the drugs and the PTSD and all that it seems like at the very least an interesting life to have.

I'm sure after that introduction you decide to completely disregard everything I am about to say. Good. I'm glad. Because what I'm about to say will probably undermine the deeper meaning of the book and set back the teenage moment a decade (haha) and so please for the love of God stop reading.

Now that I am by myself I am going to be honest. This book didn’t speak to me on a very seep level. There were a few moment were I knew exactly what he was talking about.

“I don’t know if you’ve ever felt like that. That you wanted to sleep for a thousand years. Or just not exist. Or just not be aware that you do exist. Or something like that. I think wanting that is very morbid, but I want it when I get like this. That’s why I’m trying not to think. I just want it all to stop spinning.”

Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The idea of depression and suicide have always been intriguing to me as I’m sure many people are intrigued with things they could never fully understand. So getting inside this guys brain was cool. I also loved the way that Chbosky wrote the teenager’s life. Its gritty, its confusing, its lonely even when you’re in a crowd, its a half life. and I appreciate how he painted it. There was cussing, there was sex, there was gay romance, there was just about everything I try to stay aways from in a book but it wasn’t shoved at you. It was honestly portrayed in a way that shows you can’t avoid it in this world. Its not a book I’d recommend to anyone. If you want to read it, read it on your own accord and make your own decisions. I don’t want to make them for you in this case. Its raw, its real, its honest. And I appreciate that.

This is not so much a review because I still don’t know how I feel about the characters, the writing, anything, in this subject I am useless and I can’t really tell you why I am going to post this. But I am. So tell me, if anyone is reading this, what you thought of the book. Please.

~Rain
~~~

Links


No comments:

Post a Comment