Monday, April 1, 2013

Review: My Life Next Door


My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
My Life Next Door

A gorgeous debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another


�One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time.”

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A dreamy summer read, full of characters who stay with you long after the story is over. ~ Goodreads
~~~
Review:
Who wants a sweet coming of age young adult romance? If you want to read about a blossoming 17yr old girl and a sweet, caring, and loyal 18yr old boy. If you want to watch them fall in love against odds and go through arduous times and somehow end up together the read My Life Next Door.
Samantha Reed is the 17 yr old daughter of the Connecticut Senator. She has always done as told except for one thing, she watched the Garrett’s. She was always told the Garrett’s were from the wrong side of the tracks because of the size of the family. But of course she can’t stop watching them and wanting to be a part of the loving chaos. After an unexpected meeting with Jase Garrett romance blossoms.  
Jase Garrett is the typical boy next door (literally).  With his sweet and caring nature that loves animals and fixing things almost as much as he loves Samantha he is so frexing swoon-worthy. I loved him. He is going on my book boyfriend hall of fame. So smexy;)
The mom and boyfriends will get on your nerves. All the Garrett’s are great and so lovable. All the characters really impacted the story.
The book did have a bedroom scene so I warn you now-there IS one. But I will say this it was not descriptive. It’s like the honeymoon scene in independence so though I try and avoid those situations when I can it wasn’t really inappropriate. The book, though, was great. Fitzpatrick kept me unthralled from the first to the last page, laughing, and swooning, and getting mad right along with everyone else (in the book).
I have to admit, I put this book off for quite some time. I thought it was going to be a boring repeat of every other cliché CRN (crappy romance novel) in this genre (how’s ‘bout that for honest?). I ended up borrowing this book from the library because I wasn;t sure it would be worth the 11.98 on amazon.  Don’t put this book off! It would have been worth buying so I could reread it anytime I wanted as many times as I could handle. Go forth and purchase!
Where to see: Amazon, Goodreads, Author’s Website
~~~~
"Voldemort has escaped," He announces.
"Hell." Jase sounds upset, which, considering that info about Harry Potter is old news, seems odd. "Did you let him out of his cage?" Jase is at the door of his room in two strides. 
"Just for a minute. To see if he was gonna shed his skin soon." 
:duff, you know better," Jase is on his knees, peering under the bed and the bureau. 
"Voldemort is-?" I ask Duff. 
"Jase's corn snake..."

"Go on," he says, sliding the finger up my throat to follow the line of my jaw, then back down along the collar. I feel almost hypnotized by that simple motion and find myself telling a story I've never told. 

No comments:

Post a Comment