Thursday, September 19, 2013

Rain's Reviews: This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen




When it comes to relationships, Remy doesn't mess around. After all, she's learned all there is to know from her mother, who's currently working on husband number five. But there's something about Dexter that seems to defy all of Remy's rules. He certainly doesn't seem like Mr. Right. For some reason, however, Remy just can't seem to shake him. Could it be that Remy's starting to understand what those love songs are all about?

~~~

Review

Sarah Dessen’s books will all find permanent places on my bookshelves. She has such an amazing gift. Her books are all so unique compared to the others in her genre. I can always count on her to give me a break from the mindless high school teenagers with sappy boyfriends they don’t deserve. Thanks to Along for the Ride I have never listened to women chatter the same. And after reading Just Listen my taste in music has expanded exponentially and I’m always open to new artists. So many things Sarah Dessen has written about has changed my perspective on different aspects of my life.
This Lullaby is no different. The subject of most of the conversation in this book is love. I -as you may know- have always had slightly cynical feelings toward the romantic interpretation of love. So I could really relate to the main character. In most books when the characters start to talk about love I tune out and don’t take it seriously, I've been known to skip whole paragraphs on the subject. So I really had to make myself read the entire book- no skimming or skipping. I’ so glad I did.

Remy the main female thinks all love relationships are doomed to fail and love isn't real. To put it simply. She goes through boys like she goes through clothes and is majorly OCD. Remy wants to get out of town. Her one goal is to get away from her hopeless romantic of a mom and to move on. Until that can happen she wants to drink Zip Coke and party with her friends. So when Dexter stumbles into her life she does everything she can to keep him out.

Dexter, the main male character. Dexter is one of the clumsiest people you will ever meet. He is always on the go and lives in the moment. But this happy go- lucky guy has a past that allows him to relate to Remy in a way few can. You can try to not like him. You can try with all your might. But its quite near impossible and I don’t have a reason why you’d want to. By the third sentence Dexter spoke I was grinning like a fool.

The friends are a bundle laughs and all the secondary storylines came full circle and allow you a fantastic and well rounded novel Ms. Sarah is so good at delivering.

~Rain
~~~

Excerpt

"I'm coming to terms with the fact that loving someone requires a leap of faith and that a soft landing is never guaranteed."

No comments:

Post a Comment