Friday, May 17, 2013

Rain's Review: The Selection



The Selection by Keira Cass

The Selection (The Selection, #1) 
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.~Goodreads

~~~
Sup Chickadees! It’s time for a dystopian romance! Woot :). O.K. I’m going to be honest, The Selection met my expectations, nothing less nothing more. “A guy just like you. Same hair, same suit, same shoes, walks around, no matter what, you think it's all just a store, it's just a bench, it's just a tree. It's just what it is, nothing more!”-Molly Mahoney this is what I felt like when I was reading. It all seemed kind of predictable to me. i.e. Chick gets chosen for the Selection (duh). Chick already loves someone else. Chick is rude to prince (really?!?) Prince still likes chick... I mean if the story was any other way there wouldn't be a story, but still?

America Singer is a great female lead. I really liked her and I really connected with her. She made some dumb choices but nobody is perfect and you can’t really relate to a character that is. There didn’t seem to be anything extraordinary about her, I mean she was nice enough, slightly awkward, she was an exceptionally talented musician but as a 5 she had to have; some type of artistic talent. She is also apparently really really beautiful but since I don’t consider that when I’m talking about someone's character, personality, or special qualities, I am kind of grasping at straws when it comes to what makes her so different? But I guess that really is more lifelike than, say, Katniss. Either way she’s a cool chick that I look forward to hearing more about.

Prince Maxon: He seems like a pretty cool dude. You really can’t help but really fall for him. I mean just his first appearance in the book and you're already like, “Awwww!” or “OMG have my babies!” (depending on how your mental state is and if you’re seriously considering the latter, I am sure there are some GREAT therapists *read nut houses* around where you live) The former, however, is how I felt. He really doesn't have a mean bone in his body.

All the other characters brought something to the story, if only for a brief laugh. The book was good and I will be picking up Elite as soon as I can so I can find out what happens. Yes, didn’t I tell you? Horrible cliffhanger with a plot twist I never saw coming (didn't expect that after my intro, did ya?)
[SPOILER!!!!!- If you don’t like love triangles- DON’T READ]

No comments:

Post a Comment