Friday, May 10, 2013

Rain's Review: The Summer I Became a Nerd


The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Miller


On the outside, seventeen-year-old Madelyne Summers looks like your typical blond cheerleader—perky, popular, and dating the star quarterback. But inside, Maddie spends more time agonizing over what will happen in the next issue of her favorite comic book than planning pep rallies with her squad. That she’s a nerd hiding in a popular girl's body isn’t just unknown, it's anti-known. And she needs to keep it that way.

Summer is the only time Maddie lets her real self out to play, but when she slips up and the adorkable guy behind the local comic shop’s counter uncovers her secret, she’s busted. Before she can shake a pom-pom, Maddie’s whisked into Logan’s world of comic conventions, live-action role-playing, and first-person-shooter video games. And she loves it. But the more she denies who she really is, the deeper her lies become…and the more she risks losing Logan forever.~Goodreads
~~~

So if you're too school for cool
And you're treated like a fool
You could choose to let it go
We can always, we can always party on our own~Pink

So nerds, let us party on our own, and read this wonderfully cute book.
Maddie is a cheerleading, pop-music loving, boy obsessed, popular girl, or is she? Who is  Madelyne Summers? Does she even like to cheerlead? Alright so I won’t go spoiling THAT big question ;) but I will say this, there is more to her than meets the eye (next thing you know I’ll be quoting Spider Man).
Let me set the scene, first week of summer she is absolutely and 100% percent excited! But about what? Hanging out with her boyfriend? NO. Going to the beach? No. A new comic book? Shhh! *cough...yes...cough* Madelyne Summers is a nerd, *GASP*. Alright so if you didn’t catch any of the sarcasm in any of that, congratulations internet you have successfully rendered my humor obsolete. applause ensues.
Maddie is a sweetie pie when she is true to herself and when she isn't worried about appearances I really enjoyed her. But it was getting through the moment when she was ashamed of liking superheroes or thinking that the new pop singer song is crap. I am, however, biased. I went to see Avenger three times in theaters, I saw Hunger Games twice, I went to see one of my favorite authors and almost fainted, and going to Comic-con is on my Bucket List (just to give you a glimpse of my nerdiness).
So, having to go through her tug-of-war of being O.K. with her nerdiness did get a little frustrating. She did make up for it all though but I won't say too much to ruin it all.
Though the book is about Maddie and her journey, there is-of course :)- a guy. Now I won’t go as far to say that he is my all time favorite book boyfriend of all time. But if I met a Logan in real life I’d be like, Marry me marry me now!
He is such a sweet, honest, and patient guy that gives everybody way more chances than they deserve. He is, in one word: adorkable, completely and utterly 100% unavoidably adorkable and OMG I love him.
So if you want to laugh your patootie off, get embarrassed, what a sweet romance unfold, and journey through a summer of self discovery then pick up one of this years perfect summer reads, The Summer I Became A Nerd by Leah Rae Miller.
~Rain
Amazon
Goodreads
Leah's Website

No comments:

Post a Comment