Monday, June 17, 2013

Rain's Review: Invisibility by David Levithan and Andrea Cremer

Invisibility

Invisibility

Synopsis

Stephen has been invisible for practically his whole life — because of a curse his grandfather, a powerful cursecaster, bestowed on Stephen’s mother before Stephen was born. So when Elizabeth moves to Stephen’s NYC apartment building from Minnesota, no one is more surprised than he is that she can see him. A budding romance ensues, and when Stephen confides in Elizabeth about his predicament, the two of them decide to dive headfirst into the secret world of cursecasters and spellseekers to figure out a way to break the curse. But things don’t go as planned, especially when Stephen’s grandfather arrives in town, taking his anger out on everyone he sees. In the end, Elizabeth and Stephen must decide how big of a sacrifice they’re willing to make for Stephen to become visible — because the answer could mean the difference between life and death. At least for Elizabeth. ~Goodreads

Review 

 This book had some very high standards to live up to. I love David Levithan’s writing style and everything I’ve read of his has been a favorite. But I haven’t ever read an Andrea Cremer. So with that being said here is what I have to say. 
Invisibility is one of the most unique paranormal books I have ever read. If for no other reason than the subject matter that makes is paranormal. I mean an invisible boy? And not just temporarily but like born that way? Yep, I would have picked up this book no matter who wrote it. I put this book on my to-read shelf on Goodreads in February and as I was scouring the web for any information it would give me about Invisibility I checked David Levithan’s Facebook. Omageeze I am so glad I did. I found out the He and Andrea Cremer would be in Seattle the day after Invisibility went live and I totally squealed. Like in the middle of Starbucks. So long story short I went to the signing, made a complete fool of myself (But that's what life is for, right? *crickets chirp*), and got Every Me, Every You and Invisibility signed. WOOT. So now that you know the back story here is the actual review.
This will be an interesting endeavor...
Stephen is a breath of fresh air. I really love the hot swoony guys who make me sigh and blush and all that jazz. But Stephen is different and I really liked him- a lot. And since he has been invisible to everyone since birth he obviously grew up in isolation from the outside world and doesn't know how to make a lick of conversation, right? Wrong! Stephen has spent his life observing human interaction and this has made him a great conversationalist with humor to boot. 
Elizabeth isn't your run of the mill paranormal female lead. Though she does make some mistakes  she isn't an idiotic boy crazy stereotypical chick who when you see your like, “Are you naturally that stupid or do you have to work at it? She has a pricklier side but it just makes her more resilient to the crappy situations the fates enjoy giving her. But he is also protective, caring, a little self conscious, and of course funny.
Invisibility will find its not so invisible place on my shelf. It will stand in all its proud glory and ensnare me again and again in it’s fantastical pages. Made possible by a blog post not meant to be any more than a happy authors daydream. 

~Rain 
~~~
We stop in the middle of the living room. His eyes sweep the space. 
"you've got a box infestation," he says. "I'm afraid it's serious."
 I laugh, heading to the kitchen to grab a knife.When I come back to the living room, Stephen pushes a box towards me. 
"I've found it," he says. "This is the box for us."
"So be it."

Links for the books and authors:

No comments:

Post a Comment