Friday, March 29, 2013

Review: Wide Awake

Wide Awake - Shelly Crane

\Wide Awake



A girl.
A coma.
A life she can't remember.

When Emma Walker wakes up in the hospital with no knowledge of how she got there, she learns that she's been in a coma for six months. Strangers show up and claim to be her parents, but she can't remember them. She can't remember anyone. Not her friends, not even her boyfriend. Even though she can't remember, everyone wants her to just pick up where she left off, but what she learns about the 'old her' makes her start to wish she'd never woken up. Her boyfriend breaks up with the new girl he's dating to be with her, her parents want her to start planning for college, her friends want their leader back, and her physical therapist with the hazel eyes keeps his distance to save his position at the hospital.

Will she ever feel like she recognizes the girl in the mirror?-Goodreads
~~~

Emma Walker was real, relate able a little blubbery but still lovable. All in all, I really liked her. She had some, "Oma geeze don't do that!" moments but I've read worse and it always worked out (great thing about fiction, right?). She had a good head on her shoulders. And isn't the stereotypical love- sick teenager that so many other YA romance novels had. She wasn't my all time favorite heroine but I still really liked her. 

Mason was so sweet. He got a tad confusing at one point or another. Like I didn't know what box to put him in but looking back I see it made him more lifelike. You can't put real people in stereotypical boxes and expect them to fit and that is how it was with Mason. He was a great guy who was always there and had a caring heart that always puts other people first.

Wide Awake was so good! I got sucked into it and irritated when I had to put it down. Shelly Crane did an awesome job creating an interesting story with great characters and real-life scenarios. The relationships Emma had before her six month coma didn't just snap back into place. She had to work through the confusion, anger, sadness, disappointment, and everything that comes out of life-altering amnesia. It was a well rounded and a very satisfying read.

The book wasn't too sappy and when it did get super sweet there was a reason and I understood the need, which is more than I can say for some books I have read. I don't regret the $4 spent on this eBook. It'll stay on my kindle app and be read many times again. It was a refreshing read that wasn't some walking cliché. Shelly Crane is an amazing author that is going through much and still delivers breathtaking stories!
~~~
"Ahh!" he yelled in frustration and laughed sadly. "I'm trying to the right thing here. I want you to have everything you ever wanted."
"I want you. And then I want to talk about what I might want later. Whatever happens, I'm not worried." I put my hand on his shoulder and he seemed to relax a little. 

"It's not all you've got," he argued in a whisper against my fingers before pulling them away and holding my hand hostage, "you just don't know it yet." He leaned forward and kissed me in an achingly slow fashion.

Check out the book at :Godreads Amazon and Shelly Crane's Website

No comments:

Post a Comment